The historic period of the Great War known as “Canada’s Hundred Days” started on August 8, 1918 at Amiens, France and was concluded in Mons, Belgium on November 11, 1918. It was a changing point in the war, for this was the first time that a significant number of Canadian troops left the protection of the trenches and fought in a vicious, rapidly moving, form of open warfare. Every aspect of the Canadian Expeditionary Force say action, including the cavalry and the tanks. The Canadian airmen were also active above the troops, albeit flying with the Royal Flying Corps or the Royal Air Force.
The advance during the final 100 days can be broken down into main phases: (these are linked to the Nicholson chapters for further details)
- The Battle of Amiens, August 8-11, 1918
- Through the Hindenburg Line to Cambrai, August 14-October 10, 1918
- The Battle of Arras, August 26-September 5, 1918
- Crossing the Canal du Nord, September 27, 1918
- The Capture of Cambrai, October 8-9, 1918
- The Final Advance, October 12-November 11, 1918
The complete text of the official history of this period was made into a LibriVox audio file by MHS member Richard Laughton. You can download this audio file, or the book from this link:
Canada’s Hundred Days: With the Canadian Corps from Amiens to Mons, Aug. 8 – Nov. 11, 1918. Part 1, Amiens
This is the incredible story of the actions of the men and women of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, Canada’s contribution to the Great War 1914-1919, during the last 100 days of the First World War.
After nearly 4 years of stalemate (trench warfare) the Allied Forces planned to break through the German Hindenburg Line and then push the enemy from their defensive positions.
You will follow the CEF as they take Amiens, Arras, Cambrai and then the pursuit of the German Forces from Valenciennes to Mons (in Belgium, the same place where the war began on August 4, 1914), on November 11, 1918. Summary by Richard Laughton.
The City of Valenciennes was liberated by the Canadian’s on November 1, 1918.
The following photographs were in the Anderson collection that was gifted to the Milton Historical Society: