Charles Molyneaux Carbert, M.C.

Soldier Details:

Captain Carbert’s name appears on the Haltonville Cenotaph. He was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry while in action.

Haltonville Memorial, photo by  R. Laughton

Carbert, Charles Molyneaux, M.C.
Captain, 20th Battalion & R.F.C.
February 1, 1917
Moorseele Military Cemetery, Belgium
Parents from Campbellville, Ontario
Maple Leaf Legacy Project

Commemorative Details:

Captain Carbert is buried in Moorseele Military Cemetery in Belgium. He is recorded at A.4 and his service records indicate Grave 177/78. At the present time we do not have a photograph of the grave marker for Carbert.

Moorseele Cemetery in Belgium, photo by CWGC

Milton Soldiers in the graveyards and France and Belgium. (Google Earth).

Soldier Summary:

Captain Carbert was born in Kilbride Ontario, the son of Dr. George and Jessie Carbert of Campbellville, Ontario. Prior to the Great War he served with the 20th Halton Rifles, guarding the local armouries.

Captain Carbert attested to the 20th Infantry Battalion (4th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division) CEF as a Lieutenant on November 13, 1914, from the 20th Halton Rifles. The war diary records that he was transferred to the training units on September 9, 1915 in England. with the 30th then 3rd Reserve Battalions. He returned to the 20th Infantry Battalion in France on December 13, 1915. The “History of the 20th Battalion” (Corrigall) records indicate that while still a Lieutenant with the 20th Battalion, he was awarded the Military Cross for “Conspicuous Gallantry in Action” on or about September 15th or 16th (Page 2; Page 3), 1916. At the time, the 20th was heavily involved in the battle at the Sugar Factory near Courcelette. The London Gazette reports that he led the attack and later assumed command of the company. He was wounded in action and appointed Temporary Captain on September 16, 1916.

Lt. Charles Molyneaux Carbert, Infantry
For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led his men in the attack with great gallantry. Later, he assumed command of his company, displaying great courage and determination. He materially assisted in the success of the operation.

Shortly after his release from the No. 22 Casualty Clearing Station on November 11, 1916, Captain Carbert was taken on as a “Probationary Observer” in the Royal Flying Corps. The acceptance was issued on November 19, 1916 and he was subsequently reported as killed in action on February 1, 1917.

Newspaper reports on the disappearance and death of Captain Carbert are shown on the Virtual War Memorial Page:

Other Links: