Welcome to the Milton Historical Society, located at 16 James Street in Milton, Ontario. We are above the Waldie Blacksmith Shop, one of the MHS major restoration projects.
The Milton Historical Society and the Waldie Blacksmith Shop are located in historic downtown Milton, between Main Street and Mill Street.
BECOME A MEMBER
Only $25 a year, or $40 for the whole family
Anniversary of 200 years of Early Settlement: 1820/1821 – 2020/2020
Research by past MHS members Alex Cooke, Jack Charlton and Jim Dills it was found that the land known today as the Region of Halton was part of two purchases from the Mississauga Indians. The purchase of the Indian lands was intended to open up the district for settlers.
Halton County consisted of four Townships – Trafalgar, Nelson, Esquesing and Nassagaweya. The first purchase, on Sept. 5, 1806, was for 1000 pounds and included 85,000 acres. This included the area south of the lower base line to the shore of Lake Ontario.
The second purchase on Oct. 15, 1818 included our Milton area. The 648,000 acres purchased include much more than just the area we are concerned with around the original settlement site of Milton. Those who came had an influence on the establishment, growth and development of the district.
Here are a few of the early 1820’s names who requested a Patent for land in Trafalgar Township, Halton County, around our original settlement site – Concession 1, 2 & 3; Lots 12, 13 & 14:
Brooke, Dyer, Harrison, Lynch, Martin, McNabb, Nunan, Pelkie, Whitfield, Will and Templer